Thursday, May 19, 2011

Pippi The Heroine

Today is finally my weekend after a long week of summer classes and overwhelming tests and projects I decided to read, after all it is my favorite past time. I stumbled upon this funny little story about Pippi Longstalking, which then made me remember how much I loved Pippi as a child, and that led to me becoming completely inspired by Pipi.

"In the shop window was a large jar of freckle salve, and beside the jar was a sign, which read: DO YOU SUFFER FROM FRECKLES? "What does the sign say?" asked Pippi. She couldn't read very well because she didn't want to go to school as other children did. "It says, 'Do you suffer from freckles?'" said Annika. "Does it indeed?" said Pippi thoughtfully. "Well, a civil question deserves a civil answer. Let's go in." She opened the door and entered the shop, closely followed by Tommy and Annika. An elderly lady stood back of the counter. Pippi went right up to her. "No!" she said decidedly. "What is it you want?" asked the lady. "No," said Pippi once more. "I don't understand what you mean," said the lady. "No, I don't suffer from freckles," said Pippi. Then the lady understood, but she took one look at Pippi and burst out, "But, my dear child, your whole face is covered with freckles!" "I know it," said Pippi, "but I don't suffer from them. I love them. Good morning."

Strong, brave, confident uninhibited, amusing, rebellious and defiant of authority - Pippilotta Delicatessa Windowshade Mackrelmint Ephraimsdaughter Longstocking was kickass. I want to be Pippi. I want to be strong enough to pick up a house. So then why instead do I appear completely helpless as soon as I spot a boy when carrying a heavy box? I want to be Pippi. I want to be brave enough to do things on my own. So then why instead do I always need a friend to go with me wherever I go? I want to be Pippi. I want to be so confident in myself that I could wear messy pig tails and funky non-matching stockings and feel great about it. So why do I dress just like everyone else following the "in" trends? I want to be Pippi. I want to be so uninhibited, expressing my thoughts with no restraints. So why instead do I try so hard to say exactly what everyone wants to hear? I want to be Pippi. I want to be so amusing that people long to be around me because I make them laugh so much and bring joy to their days. So why do I sometimes sit in groups to shy to say anything? (emphasis on the sometimes) I want to be Pippi. I want to be rebellious and be seen as a risk taker. So why do I follow every little rule in the book, scared to even think of coloring outside of the lines? I want to be Pippi. I want to be able to question authority to some extent, mainly the ones who look down on me because I am young. But then tell me why I am such a passive person instead? After watching Pippi in action and seeing what a remarkable (fictional, I know) character she is- she makes me want to try harder at being strong, brave, confident uninhibited, amusing, rebellious and defiant of authority. Becausecliche or not, it is true- In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different. Think about it no one will ever forget Pippi.

No comments:

Post a Comment