Friday, February 4, 2011

#4


On love.
So I've decided I would make today's post about defining love. You know, since this whole challenge is centered on love I found it kind silly of myself that I didn't start with defining love in the first place. So here is my attempt to do so.

I know that when someone asks me what I think love is, the easiest thing to do is quote 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres" and then nod and say "yes, that's love." But I feel like there are so many definitions on what love is and it is so hard to have a clear grasp on this small four letter word that means so much.

So in hopes of finding some answers, I took the time and asked several people what their definition of love is, and here is what I got:

"Love is when my mommy and daddy kiss, love is gross!" -5 year old

“Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.” -5 year old

“Love is when you tell a guy you like his shirt, then he wears it everyday." 7 year old

"When my grandmother got arthritis, she couldn’t bend over and paint her toenails anymore. So my grandfather does it for her all the time, even when his hands got arthritis too. That’s love.” -8 year old

"Love is being able to admit when you are wrong and say sorry." 12 year old

"Love is when all you do is think about that person and all you want to do is be with that person." -14 year old

"Love is... i don't know what that shit is." (excuse the language, Im sure you can guess who said that) -15 year old

"I think love is something that makes you do stupid stuff, it makes you happy and sad, when in love you feel every emotion." -17 year old

"it's a passionate affection for another person, and it makes you less selfish." -19 year old

"Love is caring for a person more than you care about yourself." -24 year old

"Love is doing, not saying." - 25 year old

"Love is what keeps me going, its you, your sisters, and your brother, and matthew." -40 year old

I don't think I have ever heard so many different definitions about one word. And I liked them all. I think love is such a big word, especially for only being four letters. I think it gets tossed around way too often and I think it is sometimes misused. How many times a day do you say "I love ____" and truly mean it? And if you say "oh I love that shirt!" is that the same as when your about to hang up with your mom and you say "I love you" and is it the same as when you scream "I LOOOVE chocolate" as you enjoy that midnight chocolate bar (or maybe that's just me.) I know that they obviously don't have the same meaning but then why do we use the same word to describe how we feel about these very different things?

In honor of this love month try forming your own definition of love and then try to use that word when you mean it. Only when you really really mean it. Look at your definition everyday and before you say this word, ask yourself does it meet the criteria of my definition? And if it does then SAY IT, SAY IT and know you meant it, but if not then come up with a different word, maybe use: like or adore or appreciate or keen or care for or take interest in or fancy.

And with that said, God LOVES you.

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."
-1 Corinthians 13:13

No comments:

Post a Comment