Sunday, February 6, 2011

#6


In honor of the superbowl and all the dads that seem to be obsessed with sports in general, todays post is on a father's love. But my father's love is going to be nothing like my mother's love post. You see my mom and I have a way stronger, deeper, more real relationship then mine and my dad's. I mean I love my dad, and when I was younger I was a complete daddy's girl, but over the years I realized that NO one will be there for me like my mom. And when dad fails (which he did often), mom was there to pick up the pieces.
I think I am writing this to remind dads of how important their love is for their daughters. I am writing this for you girls so when you are choosing a husband one day you will remember that you want a man who will do everything he can to be there for his kids, not just be there by giving them what they ask for or buying them what they want but really really being there. I am also writing this for those boys that will one day be the dads. Please be there. Please. Because father daughter relationships are incredibly important. A dad is the person that shows his daughter what she is worth. He tells her what she deserves when he puts flowers at her bedside and when he is patient while teaching her to catch a ball and when he takes her to Tiffany's and lets her pick out something pretty and when he takes her to ice cream every Friday after school and when he sits with her and listens to everything she has to say as if it is the most interesting thing in his world, even if it is about dolls or makeup or boys. That makes her feel special and important. When a girl feels special and important by her daddy a.) she doesn't need any other boy to make her feel worthy b.) she won't settle for anything less than she deserves and c.) she will never date immature boys who cause unhealthy and unhappy relationships.
So as John Mayer says Fathers be good to your daughters, daughters will love like you do. I challenge you girls to make a list of all the things your dad has done to show you that you are loved, worthy, and that you do deserve the world, then I challenge you to double that even and I challenge you to not settle for anything less then that amount of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment